Kayak building in Tromsø

There hasn't been much paddle activity lately, but lots of activity.

I just returned from Tromsø in Northern Norway, where I contributed to an exhibition about Norwegian polar explorers and how they achieved their results after learning from Inuit and Sami people. Part of my contribution was giving a kayak building course. We built one Greenland style kayak and one Baidarka. The whole week was very inspiring to me.

Bjørn, who is a long distance paddler living in Finnmark, supplied me with valuable information about paddling in the northernmost part of Norway. Thank you Bjørn!

I played a little with my camera. I have to be better at holding the camera steady, and focusing! I’m learning to use an editing program, and I’m not very good at it yet. In the clip below, you see part of the building process. Steam bending of ribs, and oiling the finished framework.

Comments

  1. Anders, I really enjoyed your video - great to see your amazing rib bending skills in action! Also, what a fantastic place to make kayaks - inspiring. from Sue (Scotland)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anders, you crazy baidarka paddler! Goodbye Tupperware! I know your amazing paddling skills, you are made for this expedition. I might drop by, when you arrive the eastern coast of Norway, if I may? Would be nice just to follow you through Telemark or so, with my own ski-on-frame kayak.
    Stina-Oslo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Stina

    Good to hear from you too! Please paddle with us. We will not make any binding arrangements with anyone, but we are friendly and accomodating, and we will use a "Spot" device linked up to this website, so that everyone who whishes can find us on our way.

    Looking forward to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great video Anders! Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" is great music also. 1973. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d78K4rCEfAo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for sharing your videos Anders. You are truly setting the bar for other iQya-x builders around the world. Mike

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts