Passing the torch

A lot of people have expressed that they don't understand why I do all the paddle building classes. It could seem as if I'm ruining my own business selling paddles :). I'm thinking that first of all, the demand for good Greenland paddles made out of sustainable materials is nearly unlimited. The more I and others produce, the more people get to try them, and the bigger the demand.


Second, it gives me a great satisfaction to teach people the skills to produce their own. I meet very happy people who manage the tasks I give them well, and become proud of themselves. The quality of the paddles being made in these classes is good and people can have them for the rest of their lives.



This weekend I went to Struer, Denmark again to give a class. Struer is a legendary kayak factory. They made a revolution in manufacture of racing kayaks in the 1950's, and still produce a limited number of very fine veneer kayaks for special customers today. It's a joy to work in the old factory halls with all the space, tools and beautiful old and new kayaks all over. Again, a bunch of happy people went home with a paddle each, and many of them wanting to go on making more. I may also see a few of them in my kayak building classes in the years to come :)


Thanks a lot everyone for a wonderful and constructive time spent together. I'm just as inspired from meeting you as you may be from doing the class :) Happy paddling!


By the way... I'm trying to do this blog on a weekly basis now. Next week, I'll write a piece about a King Island style kayak I'm currently building.


Comments

Popular Posts