Half a life lived as a kayak builder

I just ended summer's last kayak building class.

Again, a large group of student finished their kayaks in style. Even though they were very tired - worn out you may say :) everyone were very happy as the class came to an end yesterday. Thanks everyone for a great week!



We made 2 baidarkas, 5 general purpose Greenland style kayaks, a double baidarka, sea socks and paddles. The students came from Germany, England and different parts of Norway. Thursday was my birthday, and I just realized that I've been on this planet for 48 years... and even more, half of my life, I've been working full time as a kayak builder! Half my life... kayak building....makes you think...

And then I dug up this old photo....


This picture was taken in the fall of 1996. It shows a part of my first group of students, posing in front of their new kayaks. 5 people built 5 kayaks that time. I'm in the background holding Olav, my son who is now a grown man. This morning I made my first paddle using glasses....I'll spare you for the picture... I find that older age is mainly good. I believe I still get wiser. And as it gets clearer that my life won't last forever, I try to value every moment, and get the best out of whatever time remains....


...Later in the afternoon, I went for a swim and realized that I had developed new skills walking on the water. Who needs a kayak?

Popular Posts