Blogiversary

 Happy BLOGIVERSARY!

Today, 10 years ago was the day I started my blog. I just read trough the first entries and yes, my world has changed a bit. And also...yes, my world hasn't changed much :).

The blog was created for two reasons: 

First to fill in what my website did not offer, by giving customers and other people a peep into my world. I felt like sharing some of the projects I worked around every day. I felt it was too good to keep to myself, and the few other people who would occasionally pop by.

The other reason for the blog was the Norway circumnavigation in 2011. To be able to take time off to do this amazing trip, I needed to use it for marketing of my products also. But writing a blog about the trip was quite a gamble - what if the trip went bad and I had to quit paddling after a week :(  If the kayak would sink and the paddle would break?

Well, all in all it has all been good. I have not been the most consistent blogger, but looking back, there has been quite a lot of good stories and beautiful pictures along the way. Today, like most days, I offer a glimpse of my work day just as it is RIGHT NOW.


Paddles and tools. My old spoke shave that I bought back in 1990. It still does the job together with me, making paddles almost every day. The new "tool" to the left is what I'm being more and more dependent upon every day. I bought 3 pairs that lie around in the shop.


The present and the future... These little miniature trees may grow to be paddles and kayaks after I'm gone.


A glimpse of different projects I'm working on today: A super light rolling kayak for a customer in the foreground. Steam bending tube for making cockpits for my next (October) kayak building class.


The kitchen - coffee is on. The sign on the wall is an old embroidery saying "pray and work" This is where the altar was when my workshop served as community church some years ago.


Paddles, paddles, paddles....

A paddle takes some time to make - all the little details. These some 10 paddles are all in different stages, and I will be working on them all today - some need shaping, some need sanding, some need oil and some need epoxy reinforcing on the tips. One is all finished and need shipping. They will only stay here a short while, and will soon be on their way to  Norway, France, the US and Denmark.

As you can see, a lot of things need to be taken care of. I'm very happy that you read my blog and hope you like it. I'm planning on working 18 more years, So I guess there will be some future reading also :).


Last picture.... New cockpit, framing a bit of history. The Oystercatcher was painted on my 2011 circumnavigation of Norway kayak. I recently re-skinned it for a friend, but I was too sentimental to throw away this bit. Maybe I'll make a real frame for it some day.



Popular Posts