25 years of kayak building classes

October class
The last week has been busy holding a new kayak building class. A milestone in my kayakbuilding career. 25 years of being a kayakbuilder and paddlemaker. October 1996 I did my very first kayak building class. So I now enter my 25. year. Below you see the group of people.


The first class was held not far from where I live today. A group of outdoor students from a nearby university asked me if I would do a class with them. I said yes, why not?.. and on we went. I'm still in touch with one of the students, and her kayak is still going strong. My level of frustration may have been a bit higher back then, but it all went well in good spirit and the kayaks came out real nicely. I had never imagined myself as a self employed craftsman, but it seems that is what I have become. A combination of design and archaeology. 

Present day
Today I run my business in an old chapel and have two part time employees and made a living of making traditional kayaks and paddles and got to travel the world in doing so. 






The last week has been a real treat. We've had to follow certain restrictions due to COVID-19 but apart from that, it has been great. Seven very positive and skilled students started out last Monday. They've been working real hard, and are now exhausted and satisfied with their work. Three people have returned for their second building project. My great coworkers Jannie and Audun helped out during the weekend. 4 Greenland style kayaks for slightly different purposes, one single baidarka, one double baidarka and a monstrous tripple Kodiak Island style baidarka.

We all forgot to take pictures and really just concentrated on building and having a good time. But we celebrated the almost 25 years with a huge cake (5 pounds). And we had a little glass of bubbly water. Jannie insisted! And she fixed everything. 


Last, a group photo of the class. From the top left; Thomas, Audun (employee), Adam, Riikka, Arne, Jørgen, Rune, Gard, Jannie and myself and the cake. It disappeared pretty fast! Now Kajakk-spesialisten enters a more quiet part of the season. The paddle making season. Stocking up for next years season. But first...  a cold beer!


Oh... and these pictures just came back from the photo lab. Arne holding his light weight double baidarka. His plan is kayak touring on the coast with his son.


Below Thomas with his triple kayak. He already has one triple from earlier, so with this, he and his wife can now be touring with their 4 kids in 2 kayaks :).



Popular Posts